Friday, October 23, 2015

Should you switch to Grain Free Dog food?


What ingredients should I feed my dog? What is the best dog food? Should I use grain-free?
Important questions. There are no easy answers. 















And it's so personal. And what's best for one isn't always best for the other. It's something I've read about and researched, and will continue to do so. I can't pretend to tell you what is the best food for your dog. But I can tell you about our experience and some research I've done.

Quite some time ago, we used to feed our dogs what we thought was pretty good quality dog food. But after doing some research, I realized that we were way off. That was way back, before I started getting fit and healthy, and dieting with my dog. Not only was my dog Kelly overweight, but she was also at risk of many serious health conditions. I remember that all her lab results were borderline...and I determined that it was up to me to change her diet and get her healthy and get those lab tests going in a positive directions.






















So I learned about quality protein sources. And I learned which fruits and vegetables were healthy for my dog. Then I also switched to grain-free dog food. All of these changes helped get Kelly fit. With the healthy food, combined with increased exercise, she lost weight. And best of all, her lab results all improved to healthy/normal ranges.

Here are some reasons to consider switching to grain-free dog food.

1. Grain-free dog foods often have more concentrated energy levels. Higher levels of protein and fat allow you to feed less quantity while still giving your pet fuel for the day.

2. Grains, like corn or wheat can be triggers for food allergies or food sensitivities in some dogs. Choosing a grain-free dog food can help lessen food allergy symptoms and optimize digestion.

3. A protein-based diet that is free of grains more closely mimics a dog’s ancestral beginnings. Grain-free formulas contain more meat-based protein as well as easy-to-digest animal fats.

Taste of the Wild recently contacted me to ask me to sample some of their new grain-free Appalachian Valley and Pine Forest formulas. This variety features venison as

No comments:

Post a Comment