Tuesday, December 8, 2015

New York City Cat Sitting Adventures

New-York-City-Cat-Sitting

I previously introduced you to Rudy and Fanny, my New York City friends’ new kittens, after I met for the first time in August. I fell in love with both of them at first sight. And yes, I’ve come clean about this to Allegra and Ruby, and they grudgingly accept that they now have New York cousins.

When my friends planned to go away for a few days in November, they realized that their trusted cat sitter would not be available. And they didn’t really know anyone else they’d completely trust with Rudy, Fanny and 14-year-old Squirty, so they asked me whether I’d be willing to stay at their apartment for a few days and take care of the kids. An all expenses paid trip to New York, and I would get to hang with my feline “niece and nephew?” Yes, please!

Allegra and Ruby were not thrilled, but they’ve since forgiven me.

Central-Park-fall-colors

I had a wonderful time. I spent most of my time hanging out with the kids, but I did get some sightseeing in, too. Central Park, one of my favorite places in the city, was just past peak fall color, but was still stunningly beautiful.

World-Trade-Center

One of the days I was up there, one of my oldest friends (we went to high school together!) came into the city from Connecticut, and we toured One World Trade Center. It was a clear, beautiful day, and you truly could see forever from the One World Observatory on the 102nd floor. Despite the stunning views, it was impossible not to think of the people jumping from that height on 9/11. I hadn’t been to Lower Manhattan since 2002, a few months after the attacks. It did my heart good to see how this part of the city has come back to life since then.

Meow-Parlour

Since we were already in Lower Manhattan, we took a short cab ride to Soho, where we visited Meow Parlour, New York’s first cat cafĂ©. I’ll write a full report about my visit soon.

cat-in-basket

But the best part about my visit was hanging out with the kids. I had been thinking about going to a Broadway show, but decided to stay home both nights instead. We played, watched TV, and read. Squirty preferred to spend most of the time in his favorite basket on the bathroom cabinet, but Rudy and Fanny stuck close. I know they missed their mom and dad, but I think they considered me an acceptable second choice.

relaxed-cats

my TV buddies

I loved being able to pretend that I lived in my favorite city, even if it was only for three days, and while I was, of course, happy to come home to Allegra and Ruby, I hope the planets align again some day, and my friends will need to leave town and their regular cat sitter won’t be available.

Tortitude banner for posts with border

The post New York City Cat Sitting Adventures appeared first on The Conscious Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment