Saturday, March 5, 2016

Conscious Cat Sunday: Longing for Spring

longing-for-spring

Winter is not all that long in the Mid-Atlantic, and this one actually started out on the mild side. Then in January, we got hit with a massive blizzard, and since then, it’s been quite cold. We even had a little bit of snow again yesterday. However, last week, we had a couple of wonderful, warm days, which made me long for permanent spring. Allegra and Ruby are, of course, indoor kitties, but they, too, enjoyed the warm breezes coming in through our screened windows, and they’re ready for more!

I try to embrace all the seasons for their unique gifts, but I’m a summer girl at heart. I can already see faint signs of spring: the days are getting longer. The light is changing. I don’t suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and I’m fortunate that not only does my office have natural light, I also get to go for daily walks in the middle of the day, when the light is strongest. But on grey, gloomy days, I struggle with the lack of light and warmth.

Allegra and Ruby are little sun worshippers (like mother like daughters?) They love to nap in my bedroom on sunny afternoons. I’ll usually find Allegra on the window perch, and Ruby on the first sun puddle on the bed. There have been many afternoons when I’ve joined them for a little nap in the sun. It’s one of my favorite fixes for the winter blues.

There are a few other things I try that help me get through this last stretch of winter, and perhaps, they’ll help you, too.

Change your thoughts about winter

Find something to appreciate about winter, even if it’s not your favorite time of year. I’m not a snow lover, but if I make myself forget about shoveling and driving in it and simply let myself admire the beauty of a gentle snow fall, I feel a profound sense of peace.

Make sure there’s enough light in your life

I mean this both literally and figuratively. When it’s dark and gloomy outside, turn on lots of lights in your house. Use full spectrum bulbs instead of regular light bulbs. If you think you might suffer from SAD, consider getting a lightbox.

Get outside

I can’t stress this enough. Even on cold, grey days, spending even just a few minutes outside can make a difference in how you feel. Even a short walk around the block can give you a little extra energy.

Enjoy kitty cuddles

Most cats like to snuggle more in the colder months, so why not take advantage of that? Grab a cozy blanket, a good book, and a cup of soothing hot tea or cocoa, and curl up with your cats.

Now pardon me while I head to my bedroom. Allegra and Ruby are already snoozing in their sunny spots, and I think I’m going to join them!

How do you beat the winter blues?

500x130 - Urban Paw

 

 

The post Conscious Cat Sunday: Longing for Spring appeared first on The Conscious Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment