Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Why I Won’t Be Watching Nine Lives

nine-lives-movie

When I first saw the announcement that Kevin Spacey would star in a movie about a man being trapped in a cat’s body, I was intrigued. The story line sounds cute: Spacey plays billionaire businessman Tom Brand, a man who never has time for his wife and daughter. When he needs a present for Rebecca’s 11th birthday, Brand visits a mysterious pet store and leaves with a cat named Mr. Fuzzypants. After getting into an accident, Tom wakes up to find himself magically trapped inside the cat’s body. As his family adjusts to life with the strange cat, Brand must figure out a way to become human again.

That all sounds wonderful, doesn’t it?

Sadly, after watching the recently released trailer for the movie, I’m not at all happy with this movie. In the 2 minute 22 second trailer, there are three incidents that show the cat bouncing off a wall, landing on his face, and (seemingly) being tossed across a room. Yes, I realize that these scenes were done with computer animation and not with a real live cat. Arguably, some people would say that this is no different than a Tom and Jerry’s cartoon, but I think it is different when these types of scenes portray a real cat.

I don’t like to see cats used like this for comedic effect. It sends a message that it’s funny when a cat lands on his face, or flies across a room. To me, this is like the use of gratuitous violence in other movies. These scenes couldn’t possibly be vital to the film’s plot, as least not if the description provided by the production company is accurate. So why go there at all?

So, as much as I love the premise of the story, I will not be going to see Nine Lives when it opens in August.

Here’s the trailer – I invite you to make up your own mind, and share your views in a comment.

NatureSPA banner for posts

The post Why I Won’t Be Watching Nine Lives appeared first on The Conscious Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment