Saturday, July 16, 2016

Summer Reading for Cat Lovers

summer-reading-cat-lovers

One of my greatest summer pleasures is spending time outside with a good book. Whether it’s on my deck, in a sidewalk cafe, or a park, there’s just something about reading outdoors that makes one of my favorite pastimes even more special. I like to read a lot of different genres, but of course, a large part of my summer reading list is made up of cat books.

You can find plenty of suggestions for your reading list in the book section on this site. I also maintain an extensive reading list. Today, I thought I’d share some old favorites that make for great summer reading.

Loev_Saves_the_Day_Gwen_Cooper

Love Saves the Day by Gwen Cooper is a hauntingly beautiful, heart touching, and at times painfully raw novel. The primary narrator is Prudence, a brown tabby rescued from a deserted construction site on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. The story begins when one day Sarah, Prudence’s human, doesn’t come home from work, and Prudence’s world falls apart. Prudence ends up living with Sarah’s daughter Laura and her husband. Told from the three alternating points of view – Prudence’s, Laura’s and Sarah’s – the past of a troubled mother-daughter relationship is revealed, culminating in one defining moment that changes the trajectory of everyone’s lives.

a-snowflake-in-my-hand

If you’ve never read Samantha Mooney’s A Snowflake in My Hand, make this the summer you read this wonderful book. Set at the famed Animal Medical Center in New York City, I consider this one of the most beautiful cat books ever written, and I hold this book responsible for my career in veterinary medicine.

Animal-Attraction-Jill-Shalvis

The cover of Animal Attraction by Jill Shalvis caught my eye at a bookstore a couple of years ago (and how could it not!), and I was delighted to discover that it was part of a series. This installment is the story of glamorous city girl Jade who runs from a traumatic event in her past and finds herself in a quiet ranching town in Idaho, working for Dell Connelly, the local veterinarian. It’s your typical romance, with chemistry and attraction sizzling between the two protagonists. You know from the very first page that they’ll end up together, you just don’t know how they’re going to overcome all the obstacles they face along the way.

And now it’s your turn: share some of the books on your summer reading list with us in a comment!

Conscious Cat Sunday will return next week.

FTC Disclosure: This post contains Amazon Associate links. This means that if you decide to purchase through any of our links, we get a small commission. We only spread the word about products and services we’ve either used or would use ourselves.

reading list banner final

The post Summer Reading for Cat Lovers appeared first on The Conscious Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment