Friday, December 2, 2016

How to Give Your Dog a Pill

When your dog is sick and you have to give medication, how do you get that pill down?

Maybe you do the sticking-the-pill-down-the-dog's-throat thing, where you hold his mouth closed, and rub his throat until the pill is swallowed. That's fine, but I find that my dogs often struggle and resist. So I do the hiding-the-pill-in-some-irresistible-food thing.

My dogs mainly eat dry food. But recently, Chewy.com offered me some awesome wet food to review--Natural Balance LID wet dog food tubs, and I thought--this would be a good food in which to hide Kelly's medication.
















Kelly has been diagnosed with Cushing's disease. Together with her veterinarian, we have decided to try a regimen of Flax Seed hulls and melatonin.

I break open the flax seed capsule and sprinkle it over the wet food. I add the melatonin pill. Mix it up. Spoon it on top of Kelly's kibble. And she gobbles it right up! This makes administering her medication so much easier, and no struggle and resisting involved--as far as she knows, she's only getting a yummy treat!















Natural Balance LID wet food is all natural, grain free and contains a single source of protein. We used white fish and sweet potato variety.

Kelly could stand to gain a few pounds, so the extra calories in her food are okay. But if you are worried about calories, adjust the amount of kibble you feed, and use only a spoonful or two of the wet food mixed in.














One of the best things about ordering your pet's food on Chewy.com is that it ships fast. I usually receive my order in one or two days. And no running around to the pet stores and lugging bulky bags.

If you have to give our dog a pill, try hiding it in something yummy, such as Natural Balance LID wet food.


*Full Disclosure--I was given 24 tubs of wet food in exchange for my unbiased opinion. This in no way influenced my review. Opinions here are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment