Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Ruby on Sleeping With Humans

cats-sleeping-with-humans

Hi everyone, it’s Ruby! I want to talk about sleeping with humans today, and tell you about how I’ve trained my Mom to do what I want her to do when we go to bed at night. Who says humans can’t be trained!

Some of you kitties probably already know that sleeping with humans can be challenging. They take up so much space! And why is it that they always seem to want to be in the most comfortable spot in the bed, which, and I’m sure you’ll agree with me on this, should belong to us cats! But fear not. Over the last five years of sharing a bed with Mom – what, Allegra? Okay fine. Sharing a bed with Mom and Allegra, I’ve learned a few tricks, and I’m happy to share them with you.

Cuddle with your human

Mom loves it when I cuddle with her. Okay, I love it, too. So every night, as soon as Mom turns out the light, I jump up on the bed, wait for her to lay on her side, and then I circle around twice and curl up in the crook of her arm. Sometimes I rest my head on her arm. It feels so nice – and I think she likes it, too, because I can feel all the stress of her day melt away as she pulls me even closer to her.

When your human moves, protest

What is it with humans moving around so much when they sleep? Have you ever seen a cat toss and turn after she settles down to go to sleep? I didn’t think so! I’ve gotten so used to Mom turning over a lot that sometimes, I don’t even wake up anymore, but when I do, it really bothers me, so I let her know by kicking her in the side, um, I mean, by stretching. It doesn’t seem to stop her from turning over, but at least I feel like I made my point!

How to get your human to let you under the covers

I like sleeping under the covers when it’s cold, but on cold nights, Mom has them tucked around herself so tightly, I can’t even get under there, How rude! But don’t worry, I’ve learned how to get her to lift them for me: I tap her nose with my paw a couple of times, claws ever so slightly out. Instant success! Ha! Once I’m under the covers, I like to burrow down far enough so all of me is covered, and then I wedge myself closely against Mom.

How to wake up your human

Mom is an early riser, so there are few mornings where we have to wake her up, but when we do, Allegra and I tag team each other. Allegra starts banging on the headboard (don’t ask me why, she’s weird that way,) and I jump on the bed with a running start and make sure that I land right on top of Mom. Let me tell you, it’s a very effective combination to get her up, although it usually results in some words that Mom said I can’t type here.

I guess it’s pretty clear by now that I need to be really close to Mom at night. Allegra, on the other hand, prefers to sleep near the foot of the bed. What, Allegra? Because you want some space from me? Blows raspberry at Allegra.

And now I want to hear from you! Kitties, how do you handle sleeping with your humans? Humans, does any of this sound familiar?

Tortitude banner for posts with border

 

The post Ruby on Sleeping With Humans appeared first on The Conscious Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment